- a bunch of kale. I used lacinato because you know I'm currently obsessed with it.
- a bunch of red lettuce. or whatever else you want, that's just what i wanted for color.
- half or whole, depending on how much you want, cantaloupe, sliced and diced.
- balsamic vinegar
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lime
- fresh basil
- honey, i used wildflower and love love loved it.
- parmesan reggiano or asiago and romano for finishing
Wash your greens and put them aside to dry a little while you prep the cantaloupe.
Now finely chop your greens! I like to gather the stalks and leaves horizontally, bunch them together tightly at the ends with my fingers, and chop inch wide slices all the way down. Keeping them together as neatly as possible all the way down, I like to then slice all the cuts vertically to make the lettuce pieces bite size. Otherwise you end up looking like a brontosaurus with no manners. :)
(funny that lacinato kale's other name is 'dinosaur kale.')
Toss your chopped greens in a big, pretty salad bowl, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with a little more sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Then top with your shaved cheese.
When you're ready, pour the cantaloupe on top of the bed of greens and cheese, including all the juices it was sitting in... that is what's going to make your main dressing flavor.
Love you guys! Happy Memorial Day weekend! I'm so grateful for our Armed Forces. Dad, Uncle Vic, thank you for serving and protecting us.
I'm proud to be an American.